Thursday, July 1, 2010

3 Rivers in 3 Days

Father's Day weekend, we headed to central Arkansas to fish in the White River. Except we never make it to that river. You see, because of all of the spring rains, they were generating at the dam, so the White River was up really high and the only to way to fish it was in a boat, which we chose not to do. Anyway, our cabin was in Salesville, not Cotter like last year. On our way there, we stopped outside of Yellville and fished in Crooked Creek for a couple of hours. The water was very clear and the fishing was good too. I found it to be a very peaceful place and I'd love to go back. Afterwards, we stopped at Sonic for cheddar peppers and drinks. Yum! We made it to the cabin around 8:00 and fixed dinner. We all decided we would drive to Mammoth Spring on Saturday and fish for trout in the Spring River. Fishing in the Spring River was challenging. There is a lot of moss so everyone kept getting hung up. I still managed to catch three trout! Side story---I've been wearing some men's chest waders that Dale found at a garage sale a couple of years ago. They are about 5 sizes too big, so before we went on this trip, I broke down and bought some women's waders that actually fit me. When I got to Southtown Sporting Goods, I discovered that all of the women's waders were pink. Not green or brown, but pink. I don't hate pink or anything, but pink waders. Really?? I had no choice, but to purchase the pink waders. So, now I am the owner of pink waders. At least they fit! Back to the main story. After some much needed naps, we drove to Mountain View, the folk music capital of the world. We ate dinner at the Rainbow Cafe which had a lovely display of cookie jars along the wall and an obscene amount of Elvis pictures and memorabilia even in the bathroom. After dinner, we listened to the folk music on the square. There was an old couple who danced a lot. The man had his old army uniform on. It was very sweet. We ate ice cream and listened to more music and saw a motorcycle with elaborate lights that looked like it belonged in Las Vegas. Sunday morning, we headed home and stopped in Marble to fish in the King's River for a few hours. The water was extremely murky and green, but we managed to catch some fish. So, we planned to go to Cotter to fish in the White River and ended up fishing in three different rivers/ creeks, none of which was the White River. I guess that is why God says don't make any plans because he already has his own for us.


That's me. The one in the pink waders.

Train above the Spring River
The sky looked very scary that evening. River rats...

2 comments:

  1. You can borrow my brown neoprene waders from Cabela's some time, if you need.

    ReplyDelete