Thursday, February 3, 2011

Lemon Chicken -- How easy is that?

Last night, I made Ina Garten's Lemon Chicken Breasts from her cookbook, Barefoot Contessa How Easy is That? It was absolutely delicious! I accidentally grabbed chicken breast tenders at the store and the recipe calls for chicken breasts, skin on. I also didn't have fresh tyme leaves, but I used the ground stuff, and it worked just fine! I've decided that I need a zester. I used the one on my big grater and it took forever just to get 1 tablespoon of lemon zest. I'm pretty sure I didn't even have that much because I got so frustrated and stopped. Here's a pic of what it looked like...
This is the first recipe I've tried out of this cookbook, and I can't wait to try more!

Here's the recipe courtesy of Ina Garten's How Easy is That?:
1/4 cup olive oil
9 cloves garlic minced
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 T grated lemon zest
2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 t dried oregano
1 t minced fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 boneless skin breasts (skin on)
Lemon
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Warm the olive oil in a small saucepan and add garlic. Cook for just one minute but don't allow garlic to turn brown. Off the heat, add the white wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt, and pour into 9 x 12 baking dish.
Pat the chicken breasts dry and place them skin side up over the sauce. Brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle them liberally with salt and pepper. Cut the lemon in 8 wedges and tuck it among the pieces of chicken.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes depending upon the size of the chicken breasts, until the chicken is done and the skin is lightly browned. If the chicken isn't browned enough, put it under the broiler for 2 minutes. Cover the pan tightly with alluminum foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot with the pan juices.

1 comment:

  1. My suggestion, get a micro-plane. It's more versatile than a citrus zester and does a better job. They can be found at Bed Bath and Beyond for a fair price.

    ReplyDelete