Friday, July 8, 2011

The CrossFit Post



Let's see, where to begin? I thought I was in fairly good shape. I was WRONG. All of my life, I've been an active person. I took dance for 15 years. I did gymnastics. I did hot yoga. I did Yoga Booty Ballet. I did Jillian's 30 day shred. Like I said, I thought I was in fairly good shape. A little over a year ago, my best friends started going to this place called CrossFit. I knew it was some sort of a gym, but that was about it. When we went to dinner, it was almost all they talked about. CrossFit this, CrossFit that! I was always intrigued by what they were talking about, but I didn't really understand everything. I loved hearing about the other CrossFitters. I loved hearing about how they were losing inches and getting into better shape. Naturally, I felt left out. I finally couldn't take it anymore and they convinced me to try it for a week. My first day was March 21st. I was introduced to the pull up, with a band of course, because not many people can do a pull up unassisted on the very first try. I also did front squats with a bar. The workout itself wasn't that bad. The trainer scaled me back of course. Well, early the next morning, around 1:00 a.m., I woke up not able to straighten my arms. I had never done that many pullups in my life. The first week was brutle. I've never been so sore. I thought Jillian made me sore. This did not even compare. I could barely walk. Fastword to today-- it has been almost 4 months since I started CrossFit and I will say that it is the HARDEST fitness endeavor I've ever tried. I feel so much better physically and mentally. I am now in the best shape I've ever been. I will say this though. You can think you are in good shape, but then when you're gasping for air b/c it is 100 degrees outside and you're running (or jogging), you DO NOT feel like you are in good shape. You just feel like shit. Pardon my french. It is difficult to write about this b/c I feel like some of this would be better explained in person, so I guess if you see me, ask me about CrossFit, and I will talk your ear off. Apparently, this happens to people who start CrossFit and they become a bit obsessed. I have become obsessed. I am one of the people who check the CrossFit blog like crazy every night to see what the next day's WOD will be. WOD means "workout of the day." I have become so obsessed that I will literally talk to myself in the car on the way there. As in, I tell myself that the WOD is going to be so hard and it is going to suck, but I have to do it. This started when I did "Karen" for the first time. Karen is 150 wallballs. Wallballs aren't fun. Ask any CrossFitter. I didn't want to go, but secretly, I really did. I wanted to try to do it. I wanted to go, so I could say that I did it. And I did. And it was awful. It was so hard. But, I did it. Same case with "Murph." I wanted to try it. I knew it would be awful. But I did it. Then I got really mad, b/c I realized I didn't complete everything, but that's another story. I did a pullup without a band. Without a band!!! I've completed the "Filthy 50" twice now. My hands have ripped from doing K2E (knees to elbows). Rips hurt. As in, you scream bloody murder when you stick your hands in hot salty bath water. I have been in the middle of a WOD and thought to myself, "Why did I come today? I should've just stayed home. Something is wrong with me for wanting to put myself through this!" Then I push through. I keep going. I tell myself that I will finish. Then....it's over. Sweet rest. I get to lie down in front of the fan and talk to the other people who also pushed through the pain. I don't know how else to word it. You think you can't do something. But then your body surprises you. Your mind surprises you. You feel like you can do anything. I love it. I simply love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment